Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Our Trip to Los Palos

'Us' was Sonju and I - Sonju is friends with the head of UN
transportation here in Dili (and in Baucau), so she worked it.
We just had to sign waivers, you know...saying they weren't
responsible for us, should anything happen.
What could possibly happen?

Haha. Don't worry, nothing did happen, of the traffic accident
variety, but oh my God....those roads. Muta - muta! (It means
throw up, and I kept practising the phrase -
"Stop! I have to throw up!" cuz I really thought I was going to
use it.) The road, especially leaving Dili for the first half
an hour or so, goes around the cliffs above the sea, which is
beautiful....but - you get the picture. I would most highly
recommend travelling around this country on a motorbike
or a bicycle. On either of those I think you could better 'absorb'
the beauty - and it is beautiful. But in a car.... No, thank-you.
There are just way too many curves, and unless you're
driving yourself, almost all the people here (Timorese and
malae) go just a bit too choppily for it to be pleasant.
Also, of course, you can't really see in a car - you know,
you're not really 'there' as much.

No comments: